Thursday, December 1, 2011

Books your Toddler and Preschooler will LOVE!!!

My daughters are 2, (almost 1/2) and just 4. Here are some books that they love and that I enjoy reading:

1. Boo Hoo Bird, by Jeremy Tankard---
I bought this book on a whim without looking at it too much and was pleasantly surprised by how quickly my daughters fell in love with it! The story is simple, a bird gets "bonked" on the head with a ball and all of his animal friends try to make him feel better. They try bandaids, cookies, and kisses, and nothing seems to work until.... I don't want to spoil the ending.
The illustrations are entertaining. Most importantly, I ENJOY reading this one!!!!!

2. Making the Moose out of Life by Nicholas Oldland --
Again, I bought this book on a whim at the same time as Boo Hoo Bird. The story is adorable and hits home with me, a middle aged mother of two! Here's the gist: our hero, the Moose, does not partake of all the great opportunities that life has to offer and he is not sure what life is all about. However, one day, after getting bonked on the head by a golf ball (do you detect a theme?) he gets on a sailboat and is stranded on a desserted island where he meets a turtle named Tuesday and learns more about enjoying life. My girls LOVED this book and honestly, so did I! BOOKS NOT TO AVOID!!! 1) Martha Speaks I bought this book last year for my 3 year old and 2 year old after returning from vacation. We had gone to Martha's Vineyard and each one of them brought back a little black dog; of course, their names were Martha. Hence, I thought the book would be cute. STOP RIGHT THERE. Lesson learned: read the book first. Aside from the use of the word "shut up," which I think is atrocious to begin with, there is a cat burglar in the book. My girls have been obsessed with cat burglars since! "Mommy, where do cat burglars live?" "Mommy, what do cat burglars do?" "Mommy, what do they steal?" Arrrrgh!! Avoid the headache and steer clear until they are much older!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment