Saturday, December 31, 2011

"Happy" New Year?

It's almost official. 2011 has slipped by and 2012 will arrive in 15 minutes exceptionally uneventfully for me. The good news, however, is that the kids are asleep, I have a warm cup of Yogi Bedtime tea that I'm sipping, and I will be able to see the fireworks from my house at midnight.

It's interesting how one's concept of a successful New Year's Eve changes as we get older. Well, at least it does for some of us. It started for me very simply: "if I sneak out of my bedroom and make my presence known, will my parents let me stay up until midnight?" Then it became, how many friends did I have sleeping over on New Year's Eve and would they think it was lame that my parents were wearing hats and blowing horns (I still cherish the fact that they did!) And of course,it seems not to long ago, the less I remembered, the better it was.

Today, I am content. My husband has to work early in the morning, so we are in. However, my girls got dressed up in their finest party wear (Hanna Andersson's Semi-annual sale!!! Gotta love $90+ dresses for $20!!), bedazzled themselves in their jewels, wore their New Years tiaras, and pushed their baby dolls in strollers over to an early party. It was an intimate gathering. The conversation was lively, everyone was in a great mood, including the kids and we had a really nice time.


Later, after a little nap for Daddy and the two year old, we went to see the 6PM fireworks that Philadelphia puts on. I used to mock the city for having fireworks on New Year's Eve at such a ridiculous time. But now, I have to say, "I GET IT!!" The music was a bit loud down on by the river, but it wasn't crowded, something I truly appreciate about Philadelphia, and the girls loved it as they tooted their little horns!

I'm content, I'm happy, and I hope I'm ready for all of the challenges the New Year presents. It's two minutes until midnight. I must warm my cup and prepare for the light show. Or... maybe, I'll just go to bed. :-)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment