Sunday, December 27, 2009

THE BLURTER

You know the mom I'm talking about . You are at the playground, enjoying the outdoors and the prospect of your children burning some energy. And then you see her -- pushing her stroller with a determined walk, slightly disheveled, and looking slightly frazzled. She appears to be looking for something and maybe a little sad all at once. She unstraps her children from the confines of the stroller and then she searches. What for? For the approachable, unsuspecting mom or dad from which to gain some adult conversation. "Your child is adorable?" blah, blah, blah... "How old is your child?" blah, blah, blah. And then of course, to be polite you reciprocate the standard playground questions. That's when she strikes!! You have opened yourselves up for attack!!!.. "Well..." she begins. And then she goes on and on about sleepless nights, traveling husbands, growth spurts of children.... Wait!!! That mom is me!!!

Yes, I to sometimes gush to some unsuspecting soul. On and on I'll go with hardly a polite pause. What is the motivation of the blurter you ask? Perhaps maybe a word of consolation or assurance that she is not the worst mommy in the world for feeding her daughter frozen waffles for dinner (guilty!)

No. I am not always this pathetic, but I have my moments. Don't we all? (Please say yes!)

To all those recipients of a mommy's blurting moments, be patient. For there are those who have, and those who will. I speak from experience.

1 comment: